Carbon CO2 Emissions
Carbon CO2 emissions are an accepted measure to track Global and UK performance towards a Carbon level of 350ppm.
Minimising CO2 emissions arising from construction activities represent a key area for the industry and a major contributor in meeting the UK targets.
To Manage you must Measure - ConstructCO2 is important in providing simple, practical and systematic approach to measuring project carbon emissions that enables Project Teams to re-engineer their design, procurement, logistics and construction processes to minimise their footprint.
In addition ConstructCO2 supports a number of key environmental and sustainable construction schemes:
- Considerate Constructors Scheme Registered Site Checklist includes measuring the project carbon footprint as an issue for assessment
- Strategy for Sustainable Construction calls for a 15% reduction in carbon emissions from construction processes and associated transport by 2012 compared to 2008 levels
- ISO 14001 - Carbon emissions that arise at project level through travel of management, operatives, materials and waste, along with the fuel used on site for plant and power are often the number one environmental impact and action item
Benefits: Clients, contractors and suppliers using ConstructCO2 are identifying quick win actions that reduce carbon, and generate potential savings through travel arrangements and material/supplier procurement, both on the project in question and on future projects.
Finally the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) is a new mandatory emissions trading scheme starting in April 2010 that will affect organisations that are large energy users, including clients and contractors. Initially allowances will be sold at a fixed price. From April 2013, allowances will be allocated through auctions.
- Plan the approach and targets for CO2 reduction
- Do management to reduce/ minimise emissions
- Check measuring and understanding CO2
- Act use results and lessons learnt to set approach and targets
Do you know how much it will cost you and do you want to add further costs to your projects? ConstructCO2 will enable you to proactively measure and understand your footprint to enable improvement and reduction of additional cost.